About Education Portal
We are a technology company on a mission to make education accessible. Education Portal helps millions of students improve their grades and earn college credit. We offer self-paced, online video courses that cover every subject taught in high school and junior college. Our team has built these courses from the ground up, leveraging data and technology to make the entire learning process simple and engaging for students.
We are a profitable, fast growing company looking to expand our team.
We began our journey in 2002 as a self-funded start-up and have grown every year since our inception. As a small, independent company, our employees have a direct impact on company direction and results.
We are located in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. We only hire top talent, so those who pass our rigorous interview process will find themselves as part of one of the brightest and most innovative teams in Silicon Valley.
We have a culture of social responsibility. As we continue to generate profits, we give back by funding scholarship programs and helping charitable organizations provide open access to information and education throughout the poorest regions of the world.
Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the GWT Software Engineer Position
- Design, develop, deploy, manage and maintain multiple critical high-availability GWT applications that help run our day-to-day business
- Participate in system design, architecture decisions and lead regular code reviews
- Work in a highly interactive, team-oriented environment
- Actively find ways to improve software (evaluate and incorporate new libraries, tools and technologies; code reviews; refactoring; testing; etc.)
- Find simple, robust solutions to complex problems
- Become a key member and decision-maker in our top-notch engineering team
- 2+ years experience in GWT, Swing, or related technologies
- 2+ years experience in Java and J2EE technologies (Spring, Hibernate, Resin, JDBC, JMS, JMX)
- Advanced XHTML, CSS knowledge
- Mastery of object oriented design, design patterns, data structures and multithreaded algorithms
- Strong background in relational database, SQL query optimization and tuning (MySQL preferred)
- Working knowledge of UNIX or Linux
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and strong analytical / problem solving skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while juggling multiple projects
- Eligibility to work in the US without sponsorship
- Advanced Resin and/or Tomcat knowledge
- Experience with service oriented architectures (SOA)
- Experience with content management systems
- Paired programming and agile development experience
- Experience with EHCache, Terracotta, Maven or Ant build scripts
- Use of Confluence or other Wiki for documentation and specifications
- JUnit framework, JMeter, HtmlUnit or other testing frameworks and harnesses
- Mastery of IntelliJ and/or Eclipse IDE
- Exposure to online marketing, search engine optimization and lead generation
Why work for Education Portal?
- Help make education accessible to people who need it
- Enjoy a fun, casual and collaborative working environment
- Join a profitable and financially stable company
- Help guide company decisions and direction
- See results of your work in days, not years
- Have your work impact 6+ million web visitors each month
- Grow professionally with our training and skill development programs
- Work with other talented and passionate team members
- Competitive compensation (including salary and bonus plan)
- 401k retirement plan with employer matching
- 20 days of flexible paid time off annually (increases to 30 days over 5 years)
- Additional 10 paid holidays annually
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans (we pay 100% of premiums)
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs
- Stocked kitchen and beverages provided
- Company sponsored gym memberships
- Company sponsored Friday happy hour to celebrate weekly accomplishments