The Citrix System Technician role is focused on the day to day operations and maintenance of the Citrix environment and related components. The Citrix System Technician is responsible for maintaining the Citrix related computer systems. Server management is a primary responsibility. The Citrix System Technician would be responsible for installing, maintaining and updating servers. They are also responsible for ensuring the servers are imaged correctly, and that the server environment and data are secure from unauthorized access. System administrators will also often perform light programming (usually scripting, which involves writing programs to automate tasks).
The following activities are typical for this role:
· Setup and deploy new users and the resources required for the Citrix environment
· Test, plan, and apply updates and patches as required to the Operating systems, Citrix components, and applications as required.
· Test, plan, and apply performance optimizations as required
· Test, package, and publish new or updated applications that will be deployed by the Citrix infrastructure.
· Manage the use of and operations of the development and staging environment.
· Review system Event Logs on a weekly basis for errors and warnings.
· Perform EdgeSight for load testing performance baselines
· Perform administrative tasks pertaining to the end User environment , Applications, Roaming Profiles, AD policies , and Citrix policies.
· Proactively monitor the health and performance of the Citrix environment and it’s dependencies in order to maintain optimal performance and to predict a possible or imminent failure and take corrective actions when necessary.
· Perform the duties of a Helpdesk Technician should the helpdesk become overloaded and require additional temporary resources to handle the queue volume.
· Participate in the 24x7 on call group.
Required Skills and experience:
· Self-motivated and detail driven.
· Good Interpersonal Skills
· Technical Writing and Documentation Skills
· Advanced understanding of concepts and working knowledge pertaining to the following technologies:
Virtualization technologies ( Hyper-V, ESX, or XenServer)
Administration of Active Directory 2003 or 2008
Windows 2003 / 2008
DFS, DHCP, Clusters, SQL, & DNS
VMware technologies ESX (3, 4, or 5)
Working with Server hardware technology:
Dell,HP, Cisco, & IBM
Both standard rack and blades
Storage technologies (ISCSI, Fiber, NFS, CIFFS)
Networking concepts (Switches, Gateways, Routers, Firewalls, VPN, VLAN)
SOX and/or PCI compliance concepts
Additional beneficial Skills and experience:
· Worked in a SOX and/or PCI compliance environment
· Citrix XenApp 5 or 6
· Citrix Provisioning
· Citrix XenDesktop
· Citrix XenServer
· VMware administration
· VMware View
· Exchange 2007/2010
· Windows 2008 Server R2
· Microsoft server 2008 clustering
· Data replication technology
· Microsoft ISA server
Background on Synergy’s Helpdesk:
Synergy has several enterprise customers that utilize this 24x7 service. We operate the helpdesk 24x7. The Synergy help desk staff is on call 24x7 and is contacted first should a customer open a critical ticket outside of our normal operating hours. There is an automated ticketing and monitoring system which is accessible to both the customer and the support agents.Synergy’s Helpdesk is NOT the first level support provided to end users. But rather, calls coming into our helpdesk are from other IT organizations. End user issues will be transferred only after they have been initially trouble shoot from the customer’s initial helpdesk team. The Synergy help desk will deal with Infrastructure issues and any issue pertaining specifically to the core infrastructure, Citrix environment including the End users sessions and published applications.
Core Infrastructure products:
· VMWare ESX
ISCSI, DFS, CIFFS, Fiber
NetApp, EMC, HP, Dell, Compellent, IBM
Blades and Rack Mounted
IBM, HP, Dell, Cisco
XenApp 4.5, 5 & 6
Branch Repeater / Wanscaler
Active Directory, MS DNS, SQL 05/08, MS Clustering, MS DFS, MS DHCP