- Network Data Systems
- Principal Data Center Engineer
- Windows Server 2003/2008, SQL Server 2000/2005/2008, Exchange 2003/2007/2010, Red Hat Linux 4/5/6, Active Director, iSCSI, Fiber Channel, FCOE, DAS, NAS, RAID levels, SAN replication
- Date Posted:
- Schaumburg, IL
- Area Code:
- Employ. Type:
- Pay Rate:
- Job Length:
- Position ID:
- Dice ID:
- Travel Required:
- Nicole Scharenbroch
- 50 E. Commerce Drive
- Suite 120
- Schaumburg, IL 60173
- (847) 385-6700
- Principal Data Center Engineer
- Schaumburg, IL
Network Data Systems (NDS) is a proven leader in IT infrastructure consulting and managed services. We are privately owned, profitable, and growing rapidly. More than 85% of our revenue comes from professional services (not hardware), which means our people are at the core of our business. Our vendor partnerships include Cisco, Juniper, F5, Microsoft and VMWare. Our customer partners include AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink and Orange Business Services. All of these organizations trust NDS for one primary reason: We deliver.
Why choose NDS?
1) NDS culture. Everyone says they are employee focused. But we live it. We invest in the training and development of our employees, and we don't believe in wage freezes. The proof is in our low employee turnover and high satisfaction ratings.
2) Cutting edge technology in complex customer environments. Nexus, UCS, mobile computing solutions, etc. Our customers depend on NDS to keep them ahead of their competition, which is why we're ahead of ours.
3) Low travel. Sure, you won't rack up the frequent flyer miles like you can with some employers. But the dog probably won't growl at you when you come home.
4) Growth. We've more than doubled in size over the past three years. We moved to a new facility in Schaumburg, IL in 2011 to house our growing managed services and consulting teams. And we're not slowing down.
Due to our rapid growth, NDS is currently looking for a Principal Data Center Engineer to join our team. The candidate must have a successful track record of building and managing data center practices and engaging in large complex, enterprise environments including but not limited to SAN provisioning, mirroring, backup (also storage technologies iSCSI, FiberChannel, FCOE), VMware VSphere 4.x, VMware VShield, VMware View, Microsoft Hyper-V, Micosoft SQL Server, Cisco UCS, Citrix XEN Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010 and Microsoft Lync Server or Office Communications Server (OCS).
The Principal Consultant will oversee the design, architecture, implementation, security and support of mid-sized to large multi-site data center environments that involve server, storage, and virtualization technologies that mesh with client’s business requirements. The candidate will provide business development support and lead: development of future state (Data Center/Storage/Server/Virtualization) systems designs, deployments, lead project teams, prepare Bill of Materials (BOM) and implement best practices for data center engagements to ensure client investment in technology is consistent with their business objectives and that proposed projects are executed successfully. The candidate will fill a Subject Matter Expert (SME) role for data center projects involving storage, servers, and virtualization and will be expected to support sales efforts.
General Requirements –
- 12 or more years industry experience
- Has minimum of 2 major industry certifications (VMware, EMC, Microsoft, Cisco)
- Can map business requirements to technical solutions and create Bills of Material (BOM)
- Excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills including demonstrated experience presenting technology recommendations from a business perspective
- Can lead large server/storage/virtualization enterprise projects
- Can create and mentor teams of engineers and consultants
- Can conduct ROI analysis
- Can troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade, and provide solutions to complex server, storage, and virtualization hardware/software problems.
- Strong documentation skills
- Can develop customer relationships
- Has 4 year degree
- Understands different vendor solutions
- Has excellent customer service skills
- Has 5 or more years designing and implementing complex data center environments.
- Travel requirements up to 40%
- Professional, business-focused attitude and courteous manner towards clients, partners, and peers
Skills Required –
- Comprehensive knowledge and hands on experience with server technologies (Windows Server 2003/2008, SQL Server 2000/2005/2008, Exchange 2003/2007/2010, Red Hat Linux 4/5/6, Active Directory), storage technologies (iSCSI, Fiber Channel, FCOE, DAS, NAS, RAID levels, SAN replication, CDP backup strategies), and virtualization technologies (VMWare VShere 4.x/3.5 ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix Xen Server 5.x)
- Comprehensive knowledge of TCP/IP, SNMP, DNS, LDAP, WINS, sniffers, Windows Server operating systems, network systems (i.e. Cisco routers & switches) Load Balancing, Firewalls, LAN, WAN and High Availability.
- Strong experience designing and implementing and supporting highly available, redundant virtualization solutions for large enterprise data center engagements with 100-500 virtual servers in a multi-site environment.
- Experience with Cisco Unified Computing Systems (UCS)
- Experience with implementing SANs, Fibre switches, and VMware
- Experience with Apple iOS, Android, Nokia/Symbian mobility applications
- Experience with multi-site Active Directory, Exchange and Microsoft core infrastructure technologies
- Excellent understanding of LAN/WAN infrastructures.
- Strong understanding and experience of networking technologies such as protocols, SSL, VPN, VLAN’s, QOS, access lists, authentication, and IPV6
Other Responsibilities -
- Designing and implementing data center solutions involving any or all of the following technologies: server, storage, virtualization, security, LAN design.
- Working with project managers to create and verify the existence of detailed requirements definitions, fully developed project plans with milestones and timelines, the identification of necessary resources, and the successful completion of the project within budgets and on time.
- Executing best practices in data center build outs, integration, testing, and packaging of infrastructure documentation and application solutions.
- Directing junior level engineers in efforts needed to complete projects.